CrispAds Blog Ads




Sunday, February 12, 2006

Wiretapping: Show Me the Money

There are two things that really are beginning to bug me:

1) Democrats who castigate the President for wiretapping without knowing any details of specific examples.
2) Republicans who exonerate the President for wiretapping without knowing any details of specific examples.

Now, I do believe we already have grounds to engage in serious reflection and debate on this issue and the broader themes it evokes: freedom vs. security, separation of powers, executive authority, interpetation of current laws, the use of FISA, etc. But wouldn't it help if, before everybody draws their line in the sand, we had a general sense of who's being listened to?
I realize that some of this may be sensitive information and never come out. But we're going to need some general idea of who was listened to without a warrant. Because I'm about to pull my hair out listening to those on the left raise the specter of Nixon and make jokes about Cheney keeping tabs on their Googling. And I've heard enough from those on the right who say it doesn't bother them because they trust the President (though I feel comfortable enough to say that I find this rationale mindbogglingly specious).

Hey, I've got concerns, but what do we really know? Maybe I missed something. If so, please let me know...

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Back to Dignan's 75 Year Plan