CrispAds Blog Ads




Thursday, February 03, 2005

SOTU: Gay Marriage question

In my post about the SOTU, I made a point about the federal marriage amendment and how I thought it was not a politically shrewd move to continue to push it. One my visitors asked me to elaborate on this issue.

I consider this to be a very difficult issue. I'm going to address gay marriage from a political perspective and from a moral perspective.

Political Underdogs
David Horowitz, in his book "The Art of Political War", talks about how underdogs often have the edge in political battles; Americans generally like to pull for underdogs and those under attack. Over the past couple of years, gay rights activists have been on the attack to make gay marriage legal. Those opposed to gay marriage have actually had an advantage because there has been the perception that they are under attack by "activist judges".

Post-election, there is now a perception that those opposed to gay marriage have won the first battle. With Bush pushing a federal amendment against gay marriage, I believe that the playing field has shifted, with gay marriage opponents now being on the defensive and having the desired position of underdog.

I think those opposed to gay marriage would be better off letting the issue die. I simply don't think that there is the political capital for judges to continue legislating on this issue.

The Moral Question
I must first say that I am still working out my thoughts on the issue of whether gay marriage should be legal and am willing to be convinced one way or the other. I think that there is a sense among those opposed to gay marriage that we as a society shouldn't condone homosexuality. Isn't it a bit too late for that? I think that in a way we undermine the respect for the rule of law when our laws do not reflect the common culture. Prohibition is a good case in point.

Secondly, I'm not really sure what business it is of government to define marriage. I could care less about the government-issued marriage certificate I have. My marriage is between myself, my wife, and God.

I will concede that there is some merit to idea of the government encouraging marriage through tax deductions as a way to create a stable and growing society.

Ultimately, I am concerned about laws that give greater importance to some sins over others. I don't want to get into a debate as to whether homosexuality is a sin or not. I believe that it is. However, my own sin is certainly equal to any homosexuals; therefore there is no reason to view homosexuals as any worse in God's eyes than I. I think most Christians would have a more valid point were they to boldly admit and confess their own sins.

In the end, I'm concerned that laws like this become stumbling blocks for some to see God's grace. Of course, God will do what he will, in spite of our shortcomings.