CrispAds Blog Ads




Friday, January 28, 2005

Animal-Human Hybrids Spark Controversy

Some of you may have seen this article about animal-human hybrids, also known as chimeras. My natural response is to recoil in horror at the thought of such a things.

However (deep breath), I remembered a conversation I had with one of my best friends, Derek Owens, years ago about human cloning. I should first mention that Derek is one of the smartest people I have ever met, has a BS from Duke, taught physics at one of the best private schools in the country for years, and has a firm grasp on Reformed theology. When some of the news came out about human cloning, I told Derek how horrible I thought that was. Derek then asked me, "Who is to say that a clone couldn't become a Christian?". I was a bit baffled by his response and asked him what he was talking about. He said that it was a bit reactionary to simply assume that cloning was wrong and that it is contrary to God's will.

I'd love to get others thoughts on what a Christian worldview would have us think about cloning or chimeras.