CrispAds Blog Ads




Friday, January 21, 2005

Last night's salon

Last night's salon was a huge success. (for those not in the know, I have a group of friends that gets together on a monthly basis to discuss politics, religion, culture, etc and most importantly imbibe the best beers money can buy)

The topic of the evening was the Emergent(ing) (church, movement, "conversation"). Even after 4 hours discussing it, I'm still not sure if I know what this movement is. I think the Right Reverand Shayne perfectly stated my concerns about the movement, while Brother Troy did a great job of explaining what emerging is and isn't. (See here for Troy's article, ARTS: Imaginatively Indwelling God's Word in Postmodernity)

I also really liked Nick's opening about Benjamin Franklin's junto.

The beer list included Ommegang's Three Philosophers, St. Bernardus Abt12, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Dogwood Stout, Delirium Noel, Brooklyn Monster Ale, Koningshoeven Blonde, Koningshoeven Tripel, Koningshoeven Dubbel, Koningshoeven Quadruppel, Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale. (I'm sure I have forgotten a few others).


I have decided to review a few that really stood out....

Dogwood Youngblood Imperial Porter

Strong coffee and cocoa flavor, a bit thinner than I was expecting, but a great beer. The Right Reverend Shayne summed it up:
"This is Liquid Jesus!"


Delirium Noel

I had been wanting to try this since Randall recommended it on his blog. He is right on. I had been underwhelmed by Delirium Tremens, but this is an outstanding beer. I noticed hints of raisins and cinnamon; not too much carbonation that seemed to be what bothered me with Tremems. Excellent beer for a cold night. I like what one of the reviewers on BeerAdvocate.com said, referring to the pink elephant on the label:
"The elphant winks, nods, and whispers "drink it, my friend" And I do."

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (Blue Cap)

This is Moby Dick's little brother. As many of you may know, beer from Brouwerij Westvleteren is the hardest to find beer in the world. The only way to get it is at the brewery in Belgium or to be so lucky as to find a bar or liquor store that has smuggled some over. Kudos to Tim @ Paste Magazine for bringing this bottle of Westvleteren 8 back for us to enjoy and to Josh and Nick for being kind enough to bring this heavenly offering to the salon to share with us all.

This is one smooth beer. Perfect amount of carbonation with hints of anise and honey. An unbelievably well balanced beer.