CrispAds Blog Ads




Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Social Security shortchanges black seniors

I'm shocked yet very pleased that Bush has come out with this assertion. It is completely true that Social Security shortchanges blacks more so than whites (um, who does it not shortchange?). Deroy Murdock wrote a very good article about this years ago. Here is another one from the National Center for Policy Analysis.

Once again, does anyone really think that Social Security, as it stands today, isn't a disaster on the verge of happening?

I am also tired of hearing this myth that all old people don't want to change the system. I remember having a conversation with my grandmother a couple of years ago about Social Security. She told me that if she had not saved money on her own, her Social Security benefits would in no way cover her very meager living expenses. If I recall correctly, she was receiving less than $1,000 per month. That is scandalous.