CrispAds Blog Ads




Monday, February 28, 2005

Christian Coalition and Immigration

I have written previously about the Religious Right and some of my problems with it. Although I am an evangelical Christian and tend to be conservative in my political views, I am certainly not part of the Religious Right.

Yet another issue has arisen from the Religious Right that doesn't make any sense to me. The Christian Coalition in Georgia just held a panel discussion on immigration and has come out strongly supporting cracking down on illegal immigration and opposed to any sort of amnesty.

Now, whatever you may think about the issue of illegal immigration, I find it very odd for the Christian Coalition to take a stance on an issue like this. What exactly is "Christian" about sending poor people back to countries that they left in order to come here to make a better life?

There are certainly valid arguments to make on both sides of this issue, but I believe the Christian Coalition would have a hard time showing how the Bible supports their position on this one. And certainly from p.r. perspective, this makes Christians look xenophobic and even racist, does it not?