CrispAds Blog Ads




Monday, February 21, 2005

Conflating goals with means

Chuck Currie has a post entitled "Social Security: Protecting Our Biblical Obligation To Support The Elderly & Ill". Now Chuck seems like a very nice guy but I have a major problem with a title like this. Chuck seems to be making the same mistake that progressives attack conservative evangelicals for. The problem is conflating a Biblical mandate with a particular political policy.

Among Christians, I don't think that there can be any debate as to whether we are to care for the elderly and ill. However, the means to do so is certainly up for debate and should be something for those on the right and left to work through civilly. However, the way Chuck has worded this leads one to believe that making changes to the way Social Security works is un-Biblical.

In fairness, I will let Chuck respond and let me know if I have misunderstood what he is saying.