CrispAds Blog Ads




Thursday, February 24, 2005

We need new spokespeople

My friend Paddyco at Signpost Lounge pointed out this crazy report on Jerry Falwell.
"God's curtain of protection of this country is dependent on our remaining worthy of his protection and care, and I think the country's got it," Falwell said in a telephone interview from his office at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va.

Falwell, who founded the Moral Majority, a political action group, in 1979 and re-launched it in November as the Moral Majority Coalition, said he's focused on opposing same-sex marriage and abortion, and supporting the appointment of conservative judges, especially to the U.S. Supreme Court.The coalition will support efforts to add a heterosexual definition of marriage to Florida's constitution, Falwell said."Our goal is all 50 states and eventually a federal marriage amendment," he said.

The coalition is working to register 10 million voters by 2008 "to make sure Hillary [Clinton] is not the next president," he said.
That first quote is just unbelievable. Earth calling Jerry: America is NOT God's chosen country. Last I checked there is no mention of the United States in the Bible. While I don't expect Jerry Falwell to be the most astute political thinker, I do expect him to have a good grasp of Biblical theology. If this quote is any indication, he most definitely does not.

Once again, I don't want to crap on Falwell too much, as he is a sinner just like me. I've certainly held wrong positions in my life. I just wish that he would take a more humble attitude.

Ultimately, Christians are to be known for our love (Galations 5:14) and I'm not seeing it here.