CrispAds Blog Ads




Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Being open

As a result of the link from James Taranto of Best of the Web yesterday, I have had a deluge of emails regarding my article "Inside the Religious Right". While I wasn't thrilled that the suggestion was made that my article was primarily about domestic terrorism (which it clearly was not), James was kind enough to link to me so that people could read the entire article and understand the context in which I wrote.

I had a phone conversation with a man that I respect this morning who seemed a bit concerned that perhaps I am naive about the media and how some of what I have said could be taken out of context. I responded that while I am certainly an idealist, I have been around long enough to not be naive of how the MSM often distorts stories and leaves out certain facts.

Well, the beauty of blogging is that whatever I say is kept for posterity and can be linked to. I'm sure that there are some who would love to take what I said out of context. I can imagine some pointing to me to show that conservative evangelicals are terrorists. Before the ascendence of blogs, I could have been taken out of context with something I said verbally and I would have no way to defend myself. Now I can.

The beauty of the self-verifying nature of the blogosphere is the inherent ability to confirm or deny what someone has said. I find this very freeing to be able to be open and honest with my readers without as much worry of someone taking bits of what I said out of context.

All that being said, I am going to continue being as open and honest in my critiques. I always welcome comments and dialogue from those willing to have an open mind and heart.