CrispAds Blog Ads




Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Where have all the public servants gone?

It used to be that we referred to our elected officials as public servants. Wizbang reminded me why we call them politicians now. He suggests that we refrain from naming naval ships after people until 25 years after their death.
"a simple 25-year rule would ensure that the naming process is more removed from politics"
I couldn't agree more. I see a lot of this type of abuse of political power here in Georgia. There is hardly a road, bridge, or intersection that isn't name after a politician. And I don't mean a long retired or dead politician. I mean people currently in office. Neither party is immune to this abuse of power. Here are just a few example:

Pierre Howard Interchange - named after the Lt. Governor at the end of his 2nd term.
Tom Murphy Freeway - named after the most powerful man in Georgia for decades, former Speaker of the House, Tom Murphy. I am incredulous that this freeway was named for him while he was in power.
Johnny Gresham Bridge - named after a sitting State Transportation Board member.

I don't mean to denigrate any of these men. However, there is certainly the impression that favors like roads or bridges are given to those in power.