CrispAds Blog Ads




Monday, May 02, 2005

Dialogue is a two-way street

One of my goals in starting this blog was to foster good dialogue between those on the right and the left. I have long held that the differences are mostly a question of methods as opposed to goals and motives. I wrote an article a couple of months ago about my desire to see a moderation of rhetoric.

As part of this desire for dialogue, I have been quite willing to take critical look inward at my own beliefs and those who share those beliefs. As a result, I have attracted quite a few readers who are quite a bit to the left of my politically. Most of these visitors have expressed admiration at my willingness to dialogue with those I disagree with.

Unfortunately, there has been very little reciprocity. With the exception of an interview that I did with Faithful Progressive last week, my progressive/liberal readers have continued to use rather inflammatory rhetoric in describing those they disagree with. I read their blogs on a daily basis and have seen little if any introspection that tells me that they are maintaining an open mind about the political issues of the day.

So I am left wondering if there really is any dialogue happening or if I just happen to be the conservative du jour of the Left because I am willing to be critical of my fellow conservatives.