CrispAds Blog Ads




Friday, August 05, 2005

The Ethics of Cloning


In reading about the Korean scientists who have claimed to have cloned a dog, I came across post by Al Mohler on the topic. Mohler seems quite concerned about the possibility of human cloning and in this, he is not alone.

However, I was reminded of a conversation I had years ago with a roomate of mine who is an incredibly smart guy. We got talking about human cloning and I mentioned how wrong I thought it was. After some questioning from him, I realized that I couldn't give a very good reason as to why human cloning would be immoral. He asked a few particularly good questions: "What makes you think that a clone couldn't become a Christian?" "Could God not work through cloning in his ongoing creation of man?"

I find it unfortunate that Christians are often too quick to give answers on topics that are quite complicated and fraught with mystery. Do I think that there is a right answer on this topic? Yes. Do I think I know for sure what it is? No. We could all use more humility in discussing ethical issues like this.