CrispAds Blog Ads




Thursday, October 20, 2005

Where in the world is Dignan?

I feel the need to explain my lack of posting lately for my loyal readers. I'm in the midst of my own personal "Perfect Storm" so my mind has been elsewhere. I am working on some posts that I hope to have up this week and next. Here are some other small tidbits to tide you over until my next post.

Motorola RAZR Phone - My contract with Sprint finally ran out and I decided to go with Cingular (gotta support the hometown company). I also discovered that the best deals on phones are through non-retail dealers. When I went to a local Cingular store, they were only offering some cheap junky Nokias for free. However, when I went to LetsTalk.com, I was able to get two Motorola RAZR phones free. How great is that! Not only does this phone look cool, but the functionality is better than any phone I have used.

The Posies - A couple of weeks ago, I discovered that my favorite band in the world The Posies, were playing at The Earl in East Atlanta. The Posies had pretty much broken up years ago so I was quite surprised to see that they were touring again. I was a bit bummed to see that it was a very sparse crowd until the show started.

I have seen many bands live; I used to go out about 3-4 nights a week to see bands when I was single. And I used to work for a unnamed music magazine. So I am a bit jaded when it comes to live music. Let me say that this was likely the best show I have ever seen.

There was no silly "rock-star pretensions" or ignorant political rants that have become quite common at rock shows these days. These guys just came out and rocked. Anytime you see your favorite band live, there is always a risk that something will happen to sour you on the band but these guys really delivered. It was obvious that they fed off the crowd and vice versa. At one point, Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow hopped off the stage onto the floor with the audience and played "Flavor of the Month". Pretty amazing to be standing shoulder to shoulder with Ken as he wailed on his guitar playing one of my favorite songs of all time. If you haven't heard The Posies, get thee to the nearest record store or buy their albums online at Amazon.

The Coburn Amendment - I was alerted to this appropriations bill by krempasky over at RedState.org.
"This amendment will transfer funding from the wasteful pork project, the “Bridge to Nowhere” in Alaska, to the repair and reconstruction of the “Twin Spans” bridge in Louisiana. According to published reports, the Alaskan pork project costs $220 million for a 5.9-mile bridge connecting Gravina Island (population 50) to the Alaskan mainland. The cost of the bridge alone would be enough to buy every island resident his own personal Lear jet."
I couldn't agree more with krempasky here:
"Friends, this is as easy a call as I've ever seen. If Republicans aren't willing to step back from this idiocy in Alaska to fund the needs in Louisiana - they don't deserve anything more than a snicker next time they try to describe themselves as the party of limited government."