CrispAds Blog Ads




Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Dignan's Daily Review

I've decided to start doing a regular post of all those things I read that aren't enough to write an entire post about yet are worthy of bringing to the attention of my faithful readers. I figured out recently that I probably check out 75-100 blogs and 40-50 other websites on a daily basis. (Yes, I don't sleep; as my good friend Derek Owens used to say, sleep is for mortals.) Since probably none of you read that much, I could do you all a service by pointing out the gems.

Sean Penn's smoking-cessation problem: I think that I am going to blame my gluttony problems on my representative, Cynthia McKinney.

"Actor Sean Penn added to the enthusiasm of the day by stressing that all of the nation's anti-war activism was taking hold and was starting to work—while admitting that the stress of living under the current administration was making it tough for him to quit smoking."








Georgia Legislature works on urgent problem: Yeah, that nation-low SAT score issue can wait a few years.
"Sen. Cecil Staton (R-Macon) ... wants to prohibit cellphone providers from requiring that customers extend their contracts in order to change their plans."






Create an e-annoyance, go to jail: I thought we were past adding an "e" to every freakin' word.
"It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity."

"In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess."
There is a different take though at The Volokh Conspiracy.

Dawkins: Religion equals 'child abuse': Dick, listening to you is torture, dude!
"Controversial scientist and evolutionist Richard Dawkins, dubbed "Darwin's Rottweiler," calls religion a "virus" and faith-based education "child abuse" in a two-part series he wrote and appears in that begins airing on the UK's Channel 4, beginning tomorrow evening."