CrispAds Blog Ads




Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Dignan For Congress

Well, this was a very interesting day to say the least. Little did I know when I wrote this post last night that I would end up getting over 12,000 visitors to the blog today and have my inbox filled with email about the post.

I'm sure that many people felt that I wasn't serious about challenging Cynthia McKinney. But I am completely serious about this. Bloggers are often criticized for being willing to pour forth their opinions on any number of subject. Opinions are a dime a dozen. But I am willing to act.

I did get quite a few emails that echoed this popularly held sentiment:
"Dignan my boy, save yourself. I'm in an area that was removed from Cynthia's district in the last election cycle. I know how you feel."

"Don't waste your effort running against her. She's black in a majority black district. She panders to the black vote and has infinite support from others who pander to the black vote."

You have nothing to offer that constituency. You have no hope of winning even 1% of that vote.

That said, good luck!"
I understand that this is the conventional wisdom, but I disagree. It doesn't have to be this way. And I believe that the people in the precincts that have historically been heavy-duty supporters of McKinney are smarter than that.

There was certainly a point where Cynthia's views and rhetoric were more inline with the majority of her constituents. But that day has passed.

So what would a "Dignan for Congress" campaign look like?

Power to the People
As those of you who have read some of my posts on corporatism may know, I am no fan of the manner in which big business is given a leg up by our federal government. Therefore, my campaign would not accept any donations from companies. Only contributions from individual citizens would be accepted. I am certainly for sale; but only the people can buy me.

Untainted by Washington
For whatever reason, when elected officials go to Washington, they too often are changed by the prevailing culture. In order to maintain my position as a public servant, I would commit to run for only two terms. My time would be spent representing my constituents rather than positioning myself for the next campaign.

No Spin
Unlike Bill O'Reilly, I actually mean it. You can expect me to be straightforward and forthcoming as a candidate. My longtime friends know that I have never been one shy about speaking my mind.

So why can't it happen? Stranger things have happened.

In my previous post, I said that I am throwing down the gauntlet to Cynthia. Well, now I am going to throw down the gauntlet to all of my readers and supporters. It is time to put your money where your mouth is.

If you are serious about supporting my candidacy to replace Cynthia McKinney as the U.S. Representative of the 4th District of Georgia, then I ask you to send me an email stating your financial commitment. If I receive at least 500 emails with commitments of at least $100 each, then I will file.

How great would it be for the blogosphere to help a fellow blogger get elected to public office? Spread the word!

Update: So should I add "Keep On Rockin' in the Free World" to my platform? Wonkette thinks I'm crazy. Yeah, crazy like a fox.