CrispAds Blog Ads




Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Don't Know Much About Geography


So I read this story today at Breitbart.com about a recent survey that shows that young Americans know little about world geography.
"The Roper poll conducted on behalf of National Geographic found that most of the young adults questioned between the ages of 18 and 24 also had little knowledge about their own country, with half or fewer unable to identify the states of New York or Ohio on a map."
Why is this news? I could have told you this information 15 years ago. When I was in college, my major was geography and I worked a few quarters as a TA in some geography classes. I remember giving out blank maps of the United States to my class at the beginning of each quarter and asking the students to fill them out.

The results were appalling. And it showed me more evidence for the failure of our public education system. How in the world do you get into college if you think Texas is Mexico?